Copyright 2012 by Nicolae Sfetcu
Status: County capital
• Mayor: Constantin Gherghe (Democratic Liberal Party)
• Total: 55 km2 (21 sq mi)
Population: (2011 census)
• Total: 86,475
• Density: 1,572/km2 (4,070/sq mi)
Time zone: EET (UTC+2)
• Summer: (DST) EEST (UTC+3)
Main portal: www.drobetaturnuseverin.net
The modern town of Drobeta Turnu Severin has a relatively new history. It made its appearance on the map of Romania and on that of the world following General Pavel Kiseleff's decree on the 22nd of April, 1833. The town got its name from the majestic remains of the Severin Fortress which used to look down the Danube and surrounding region at some ancient times. It was erected following a pre-established plan, with wide streets falling perpendicularly onto the Danube or running parallel to it.
The town of Drobeta Turnu Severin which is situated on the Danube and was engaged in commercial activities became one of the modern towns of Romania about the 1900s. Because it was born on the 22nd of April, very close to the religious feast of St. George's (April 23), the inhabitants of the town chose St. George as the patron saint of the city.