Email this sample to a friend

A Walking Tour of Deadwood, South Dakota


a walking tour in the Look Up, America series from walkthetown.com


by Doug Gelbert


published by Cruden Bay Books at Smashwords


Copyright 2012 by Cruden Bay Books


All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording or by any information storage and retrieval system without permission in writing from the Publisher.



An expedition led by Lt. Colonel George Armstrong Custer in 1874 confirmed rumors of gold on the Sioux Reservation. Prospectors - and those looking to mine the pockets of the miners - descended on the Black Hills, although it was illegal to trespass on Indian lands. No one knows for sure who first found gold sparkling in his prospector’s pan in Whitewood Creek in Deadwood Gulch but Frank Bryant is generally given credit in August 1875. A sprawling community spread down the narrow gulch almost instantly. In fact Deadwood, named for the many fallen trees in the gulch, grew to its approximate current size within a few years of its founding.

Previous Page Next Page Page 1 of 33