Words under the Milo painting on the book cover are too small to read, but are shown below as follows:
E. C. Jones Agent, New Bedford, Massachusetts
Built in Newburyport – 1811
397 Tons – 107’ 3” Length - 39” Breadth - 14” 6” Depth
The Whaleship Milo sailed on one of the longest voyages on record. She left the port of New Bedford on November 26, 1863, and did not return until May 7, 1869. Jonathan C. Hawes was the captain.
It was in 1865, between June 21 and 25 that the Confederate raider, “Shenandoah,” captured and set fire to six whalers off Cape Thaddeus, Arctic Ocean. Their crews were put aboard the “Milo” which was then bonded and sailed to San Francisco.
DESTRUCTION of WHALESHIPS off CAPE THADDEUS,
ARCTIC OCEAN, by the CONFEDERATE STEAMER
June 23, 1865
(Russell Painting Insert)
After the painting by Benjamin Russell – 1874, CAPTAIN J. C. HAWES