Available formats: epub, mobi, pdf, rtf, lrf, pdb, txt
At age eighteen, after finishing high school, I sat at home and became bored. I didn't want to get to uni. I didn't like the idea of working, let alone working hard, so I sat around playing Nintendo. One day I was bored enough to revisit a story I wrote in year four about Joel the Onion of Death. I wrote a chapter. Some months later I'd written 50,000 words and I realised I was halfway through a book.
A year or so later a friend sent me an advert for a playwriting competition. I'd never even read a play (excluding what I pretended to read in high school), let alone written one, but I thought, "What the heck. I'll write a play." I won the competition and had my first play produced for a 22-show season.
Since then I've been writing quite seriously and have completed five books and 40 plays, as well as a range of articles, short stories and other bits and pieces. I've now had close to 50 different works produced, published or performed, including 25 plays staged and a fiction novel published.
For a living, I run a health clinic where I work as a massage therapist, something else I started ten years ago when I was bored. I do contracting work for the Office of Environment and Heritage (OEH) and am involved in the Sydney theatre scene as the Coordinator of Crash Test Drama and the Literary Manager of Short+Sweet Theatre International. More recently, I became the Festival Director of Short+Sweet Sydney, the world's largest festival of 10 minute plays, which produces around about 180 works at the beginning of each year. I also teach creative writing and run an independent publishing company.
When I'm not writing or running my businesses or theatre shows or contracting myself out, I'm playing with my two ferrets Merlin and Matilda, sleeping, eating, or pining over the fact that I can't sing very well. Sigh.
Notable Writing Achievements
* 2011 - short play The Flowers wins People's Choice Award at Crash Test Drama in December, earning it a spot in Short+Sweet Sydney 2012
* 2011 - short play The Flowers selected as a Gala Finalist at Short+Sweet Melbourne 2011
* 2011 - short play V.D. performed in Gala Finals of Short+Sweet Brisbane 2011 and wins People's Choice Award (by the highest margin ever) and Best Comedy
* 2011 - short play The Devil's Aftershave selected as a Gala Finalist at Short+Sweet Sydney 2011 (170 plays performed)
* 2010 - short play The Devil's Aftershave performed in Singapore, Canberra and Brisbane. Winner of Best Drama, Short+Sweet Brisbane 2010 (from 750+ entries)
* 2010 - short play Going Down ranked Top 10 of the Popular Vote, Short+Sweet Sydney (160 plays performed)
* 2010 - short play The Goon published in an anthology
* 2009 - novel Eyes And Knives published
* 2008 - founded Helm Publishing, an independent publishing company
* 2002 - winner Naked Theatre Company's "Write Now!" competition
* 25 plays performed in over 50 productions
* 5 novels completed
* published by SMH, www.newmatilda.com, Greenpeace Australia Pacific, Empower Mag, Writers Beat Magazine, many others