TEDI: Therapeutic Education Direction & Intervention
TEDI is a rehabilitative and educational program for children with special needs, traumatic brain injury, or developmental conditions affecting cognition, mobility and communication. TEDI is engaging and interactive; a complete program of curriculum based learning activities, combined with therapeutic intervention: physical, occupational, speech-language and cognitive therapy. More
Therapeutic Education: Direction and Intervention: TEDI, is a pediatric rehabilitative and educational program for children with special needs. For therapists, educators, medical professionals and family of young children who have suffered either traumatic injury to the brain, or for the child that has been born with, or acquired developmental conditions affecting cognition, mobility and communication. TEDI is engaging and interactive, providing a complete program of curriculum based learning experiences and age appropriate activities, combined with therapeutic intervention: physical, occupational, speech-language and cognitive therapy.
Included in TEDI: Volume I:
Comprehensive Guide for the Cognitive Teacher and the Therapeutic Professional including:
• effective methods of assessment and goal setting,
• developing a communication system for a child who is nonverbal,
• six nonverbal modes of communication, and
• sample goals across all domains including the initial stages of arousal and attending.
Lesson plans, with lists of required materials, rationale for selecting those materials, and sample interactive narratives. The lesson plans and materials are matched to skill objectives across the domains: Learning Behavior, Cognitive Learning, Communication, Fine and Gross Motor function.
Recordkeeping system to measure progress towards goals, and a rating and progressive skill building method that measures progress from emerging skills through mastery of skills.
• Monthly Planner/Monthly Progress Report form,
• Daily Record form.
• A Measurement of Performance Scale. By applying the Measurement of Performance Scale ratings (Attending, Attempting, Emerging, Developing, Able-to-Do, and Established), skills may be progressively rated as they develop.
Activity Kits, which are age appropriate activity collections.
• Children learn and receive therapy while engaged in activities of any child. Adapted to meet special needs, each curriculum based activity set allows for progress in Learning Behavior, Cognitive Learning, Communication, Fine and Gross Motor function.
• Activities in TEDI may be set up to incorporate various therapeutic adaptations, positions, positioning devices, facilitations and inhibitions, all to benefit the child in overcoming obstacles to interaction and performance while transitioning to the next level of ability.
Therapeutic Education: Direction and Intervention TEDI is written as a six part Volume Set:
TEDI: Volume I: contains the comprehensive manual and the Adapted Art Kit and the Manipulative Toys Activity Kit.
TEDI Vol. II: contains The Communication Kit, and The Gross Motor Adapted Positioning Kit.
TEDI Vol. III: contains The Sensory Integration or Coma Stimulation Kit and The Therapeutic Feeding Kit
TEDI Vol. IV: contains The Parent’s Guide: Medical Management, Rehabilitation or Preparation/Stabilization, Planning for Education, The I.E.P. Process (Individualized Education Program)
TEDI Vol. V: Companion Packets:
• How to Evaluate and Select a Rehabilitation Hospital
• Eliciting Responses that indicate Choices
• Making and using an Eye-pointing Board for Communication
• Adapting a Toy for Switch Activation
• Making and Using Switch Activated Tape Recorders
• Data Bank Questionnaire (Baselines across all domains)
TEDI Vol. VI: Resource Guide
Where to find materials and resources for all kits contained in TEDI Vols. I-V, including mobility and positioning devices, adaptive aids and resources, adapted toys and more.
TEDI is written by two communication experts, one a Speech/Language Pathologist, cognitive language, education and special needs professional (M.Ed., Ph.D.), the other, with a varied career in which communication skills have been essential, in writing, advertising, as a business consultant and publicist, and with the perspective as the parent of such a child.
Available ebook formats: