Haunted English Pubs (2013)
Descriptions of over 1250 haunted pubs and their resident ghosts. More
THIS EBOOK is an extended version of Donald Stuart's Haunted English Pubs (2011) with over 600 additional entries and many more photographs, most in colour, on an accompanying CD.
Believe them or not, here is a unique compilation of personally researched tales about the phantom guests who continue to frequent many of England's historic pubs - from the likes of Dick Turpin, Charles I, Oliver Cromwell, and Jack the Ripper to the Devil himself.
Mr Stuart visited over 1,000 towns and villages across the country to pick up fascinating yarns and images of their haunted pubs. Dating back many centuries, among the many spooky regulars who are still seen, heard, felt or smelt in the 21st century he discovered accounts of:
• An eerie precursor of the James Bulger murder case, 132 years later
• An unheeded young harbinger of the Titanic disaster
• 60 sleeping guests drowned in vats by a former landlord
• A highwayman buried with a stake through his heart
• A beautiful young woman, naked apart from her clogs
• A smuggler drowned with his pockets full of gold
• A mermaid who followed sailors ashore
• A woman who poisoned her husband with onion pie and was hanged for murder
• A peeping Tom landlord stabbed in the eye who appears with a patch over the wound
• A nun burned alive for having an affair with a monk
The tales are all retold in Stuart's delightful, illuminating style, and are accompanied by a free CD of his own photos of the locations. With many of England's ancient pubs gradually disappearing, this is a timely account of some of their historic, paranormal associations.
Available ebook formats: