Komodo Dragons For Kids - Amazing Animal Books for Young Readers
Bestselling author John Davidson presents "Komodo Dragons - For Kids – Amazing Animal Books For Young Readers". Beautiful Pictures and easy reading format will help children fall in love with Komodo Dragons. This is one of over 30 books in the Amazing Animal Books for Young Readers Series. More
Bestselling author John Davidson presents "Komodo Dragons - For Kids – Amazing Animal Books For Young Readers". Beautiful Pictures and easy reading format will help children fall in love with Komodo Dragons. This is one of over 30 books in the Amazing Animal Books for Young Readers Series.
The series is known as one of the most beautiful on the kindle. The pictures look great even in black and white and are excellent on the full color tablet.
Lots of facts and photos will help your children learn about this wonderful animal. Children are given a well-rounded understanding of Komodo Dragons: anatomy, feeding habits and behavior.
*** You and your kids will love learning about Komodo Dragons
Table of Contents
1. Komodo Dragon Facts
2. What is a Komodo Dragon?
3. What Do Komodo Dragons Look Like?
4. Where Do Komodo Dragons Live?
5. The Komodo Dragon Home
6. The Komodo Dragons Senses.
7. What Do Komodo Dragons Eat?
8. What Eats the Komodo Dragon?
9. The Komodo Dragon Family
10. Komodo Dragons in Captivity
11. Why are Komodo Dragons Vulnerable?
12. When Komodo Dragons Attack
13. Can I keep a Komodo Dragon as a Pet?
Komodo Dragon Facts
• Komodo dragons are also known as Varanus Komodoensis, komodo monitor, the komodo island monitor,blawak rakasa (this means giant monitor) or ora buaya darat (this means land crocodile)
• Komodo dragons are large lizards.
• Lizards are a type of animal called a reptile.
• Komodo dragons do not breathe fire like the dragons in story books.
• They are the largest living species of lizard.
• They were officially discovered by western scientists in 1910.
• They are classified as vulnerable which means that they are at risk of extinction.
• The biggest ever recorded komodo dragon in the wild was 10ft long ( 3.13 meters) and weighed 370 lb (166 kg)
• Their size has been called island gigantism by scientists. Many believe that the komodo dragon has become so big because there are no other predators where they live and they have their pick of prey.
• Other scientists feel that the size of the komodo dragon shows a direct link between them and their ancestors; the varanid lizards. These extinct creatures once lived in Australia and Indonesia.
• When a komodo dragon in a zoo needs a blood test, two zoo keepers have to hold it down because it is so powerful, and it does not like blood tests!
• It can run up to 15mph.
• A komodo dragon will attack animals bigger than itself. No other lizard will do this.
• A komodo dragon will keep growing new teeth to replace those that have fallen off or broken while eating.
• Its saliva is poisonous.
• In 2011Komodo was included in the “New 7 Wonders of Nature” list.
• Komodo dragons are carnivores.
• 3 stuffed komodo dragons can be still seen today in the American Museum of Natural History. They were brought back from an expedition to the Indonesian Islands in 1926 by Douglas Burden.
• Burden also brought back 2 live komodo dragons that were put in a show where people paid a lot of money to see these dragons tied up on a stage. This would never happen today because people would say it was cruel. It was this show that inspired the movie makers to create a famous old film called King Kong from 1933. (it was later remade in 2005) This is about a giant gorilla that is taken from its home and put in a show in America. In the film King Kong escapes from the show to wreak havoc in New York City. The komodo dragons never did that.
Available ebook formats: