Naked Writing: The No Frills Way to Write Your Book
Naked Writing: The No Frills Way to write your book presents the basics of writing - and finishing - a novel, with chapters dealing with market, characterization, motivation, micro & macro settings, dialogue, plotting, polishing & editing, all in a straightforward, no mystique manner. The information is based on Ms. O'Connell's years of experience teaching creative writing online and in class. More
A straightforward, no nonsense guide to writing - and finishing - your book, no matter what your experience level.
All over the world, at this very moment, thousands of writers are starting a novel, full of enthusiasm for their ideas. But the vast majority of those novels will fizzle by Chapter Three – an estimated 98 per cent! And their disappointed creators will put their work away and give up on their dream. It's not that they aren't talented and it's not that they don’t have good ideas - what they lack are the basic tools.
In this book you'll learn how to:
* Each chapter comes with assignments that help you apply what you've learned to your own new or work-in-progress book.
* Identify the kind of novel you want to write, and understand the elements of a good, workable idea
* Understand story structure and how to use it to make your novel flow
* Create an outline that will get you through the dry spells of Writer's Block
* Know the important elements you must have at the start and end of each chapter
* Build characters you'll love to work with - and readers will love to read about
* Points of View - just who's telling this story, anyway?
* Develop plot points and sub-plots to add texture to your story
* Understand the two different types of character motivation - and how to use them
* Tap into the magic of dialogue, and learn when narrative and backstory can help, or hinder, your story
* Keep your story flowing to a satisfying ending with all the loose ends tied up.
* By the end of the book, using the assignments, you should be working on your own chapter three and ready to sail through to The End.
Praise From Students of the No Frills Creative Writing Class:
"Excellent course and inspirational teacher. After a number of years of no activity, Glenys motivated me, through this course, to get back to my writing. This course was the catalyst that allowed me to complete my play and start working on my first novel." - Patrick Hughes
"Glenys’ Creative Writing course gave me good, practical tools and guidance on how to structure different genres of writing and how to get your writing ‘out there’ but, more importantly, Glenys provided support and encouragement with humor and compassion to give me the confidence to ‘put pen to paper’." - Claire Holdsworth
"Glenys gave a good insight into the tools that are available to a writer to capture the reader's imagination and maintain their interest." - Michael McLean
"I attended a creative writing class taught by Glenys and I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it. I felt it was of great benefit to me. She is such a positive person and it is so obvious she loves writing and anything to do with writing. Her enthusiasm was so infectious that she instilled in me the motivation to write. As a published author with varied experience she can give great practical advice and honest criticism." - Una Keating
Available ebook formats: