Matilda's Midnight Ride
"Ask a question, open and read." Those are the instructions on the cover of the Book of Questions. And so, Matilda Blake, a confident, curious and somewhat headstrong girl does! Travel with Matilda, Ethan and their cousin Geoffrey as they find themselves witnesses and sometimes participants at some of the most important events leading up to the signing of the Declaration of Independence. More
"Ask a question, open and read." Those are the instructions on the cover of the Book of Questions. And so, Matilda Blake, a confident, curious and somewhat headstrong girl does just that and finds herself on an adventure to the past in order to protect the future and save her younger brother, Ethan, from harm.
Travel with Matilda, Ethan and their cousin Geoffrey as they find themselves witnesses and sometimes participants at some of the most important events leading up to the signing of the Declaration of Independence.
While Traveling through time, the cousins receive a cryptic note that leads them to read and analysis the Declaration of Independence for clues to the whereabouts of Ethan.
* Matilda as Paul Revere's horse is one of the express rider teams on the Midnight Ride where her brother Ethan is kidnapped by smugglers.
* Matilda is a curious tabby cat listening to Samuel Adams and his Sons of Liberty plan the Boston Tea Party. Then watching the action on the docks of Griffin's Warf unfold while waiting for Ruby, the leader of the smugglers - does curiosity kill the cat?
* Geoffrey joins the search as a loyal hound to one of the apprentices caught in the misunderstanding that becomes the Boston Massacre. Meeting bookseller, Henry Knox who would later would unknowingly play a pivotal part in the rescue of Geoffrey's cousin Ethan.
* As cardinals, and otter and even an ostrich, the two cousins work together while Colonel Benedict Arnold and Colonel Ethan Allen join forces at the capture of Fort Ticonderoga. The two cousins are to meet up with the Commander, a mysterious crow who leads a team of Watchers: protectors of travelers through time.
* After listening to the colonial fighters preparing for the next day's battle and the British General's Gage, Clinton and Burgoyne do the same; Matilda flies the skies over the Battle at Breed's and Bunker's hill while battling the Ruby.
* Geoffrey watches from his perch on the banks of the Hudson as Ethan, in the form of an oxen, struggles to pull cannon across the thin ice. Will the artillery train, lead by Henry Knox, be Ethan's rescue or his ruin?
* More than one battle is scheduled for the slopes of Dorchester Heights in March of 1776 as the Matilda and Geoffrey look on while the Watcher's lead by the Commander challenge the smugglers lead by their cut-throat leader Ruby.
Mrs. Peacock's Summer School Farm and Study Program, an extension of an after school program, is the setting for much more than the fun and adventure of caring for goats, sheep and chickens while growing fresh vegetables.
Matilda, who will be entering the sixth grade in the fall, decides to do some snooping rather than finish (start) her book report on beekeeping. This opens the window for her cousin, Geoffrey (also to start sixth grade), and her brother Ethan (starting fourth grade) to join her in tour of American history. Join them in their adventures as they learn to work together and appreciate each other's strengths and weaknesses. Getting in trouble is easy, getting out takes some teamwork and trust.
The Watchers. Madam - a prim, precise cardinal; a large black crow known as the Commander; Robin - no, she's a moth or is it a mouse?
The Smugglers on Ruby's Farm. Erica - mysterious prisoner who befriends Ethan; Ruby - cold and confident. She is determined to find the leader of the Watchers and eliminate him; Giardi - Ruby's nephew cold, but not so confident. He is trying to live up to his aunt's expectations; Leo - a rather odd choice as a second lieutenant to Ruby, or is he?
Mrs. Peacock's Farm. Jolly - a rather rotund farm cat, or is she? Mrs. Peacock - teacher, farmer and … Watcher? Sariah - vivacious and pretty and a few years older, she attracts the attention of the shy and bookish Geoffrey.
Available ebook formats: