Medicine abroad: a guide for foreign medics
This book is a must-have guide for all foreign medics seeking to practice or already practising in the UK or US. The author looks at a sample of cases brought before medical regulators that could put a doctor’s registration at risk. Issues such as migration, work permits and visas, family life, finances, taxes and medical exams are also explored. More
This book is for you if:
• You are thinking of practicing medicine in the UK.
• You want to practice in the US. (Please turn to Chapter 12).
• You want to be a successful health professional in a foreign country, whether you are a doctor, nurse, physiotherapist or audiologist.
• You would like to learn from someone who has already made the transition. The author, originally from Africa but now naturalised in the UK, has invaluable tips and advice for you. For example, she found that while medicine is the same everywhere, subtle differences in cultural background could make a big difference to one’s success in settling into a new workplace in a new land.
• You’d like some advice on how to enjoy life as a medic, not just preparation for medical exams.
• You want a heads up on medical regulations and how to avoid putting your hard won career at risk.
• You need some information and helpful links on migration, work permits and visas, finances and taxes, and how to safely engage with social media.
• You believe that ‘forewarned is to be forearmed’
Available ebook formats: