Acton of Kilmacurragh Co. Wicklow
The Acton family of Kilmacurragh, Co. Wicklow has been associated with the house and estate since the 17th century when the original house also called Westaston was built. The estate was situated near Glenealy, midway between Rathdrum and Brittas Bay. The house was home to many generations of Actons whose menfolk, like many of the gentry menfolk, produced capable Army officers. More
This potted history of the Actons of Kilmacurragh, Co. Wicklow, traces the descent of the family from the late 17th century down to modern times. At sometime before the outbreak of the 1641 rebellion, these lands had been leased to Thomas Acton of Bog Hall, Ballygannonbeg, Glenealy by a Walter Byrne. However the lands were subsequently seized from Byrne and regranted to Hugh Montgomery and Sir Richard Parsons of Birr Castle, who became Viscount Rosse. According to the Hearth Roll of 1669, a Thomas Leigh paid hearth tax for Kilmacurragh while Thomas Acton continued to pay tax on Bog Hall, and on Kilcandra, a property on the edge of the Kilmacurragh estate. Records reveal that a Byrne again came into possession shortly after this but, by 1690, the Actons were living in Kilmacurragh. Their house, which was built by Thomas Acton who subsequently married Elinor Kempston. Her father, Colonel Nicholas Kempston of Dunmurray, Co. Cavan, was an officer in Cromwell’s army. Her mother, Grace, was a daughter of Thomas Maule, Surveyor-General of the Customs of Ireland under Charles II.
Available ebook formats: