Below are some of the "lies" that the author lists at the beginning. Many of the supposed lies have a base of people who profit by spreading that particular “lie”
1) "Children learn better at public schools than at private or home schools." [This statement is spread by the teacher unions-- including the SEIU of which I am required to be a member-- and buttressed by public school teachers who say one thing yet send their own children to private schools.. Even the NWACP buys into this view. Weird but true.]
2) Sex education has reduced STD’s, unwanted pregnancy, abortion and rape. [This statement has been widely spread by the liberal/progressive leaning press in conjunction with Planned Parenthood and various govt agencies which seek control over the public school education curriculum.. So far as I know, “sex education” wastes tax payer money.]
3) Iraqi women are better off now than before we invaded Iraq. [At least they can vote which they could not before. My guess is that Wafa Sultan who wrote A God Who Hates agrees that Iraqi women are better off. Her book is available through Amazon for $16. Maybe SmashedWords.com readers ask Dr. Sultan to make it available as an e-book?].]
4) One who leafs through a popular glossy magazine and feels no visceral repulsion may be whole and healthy of mind and spirit. [Huh? Glossy magazines are great when you wait in a physician's waiting room and want to tune out. Who actually reads them?]
5) Our culture is one of modesty, humility, honesty and decency. [Many American adults who are over 50 and who have lived through ups and downs and who routinely attend a Christian church or equivalent such as Mormon or Jewish and who practice their faith do in fact become more honest, humble, and decent. Also, they live considerably longer on the average!! So religion can be good for you in many ways. Yes there is well done research that supports this. Just take away the word "culture" as who knows what that refers to.
6) Americans are admired and loved around the world. [An Iraqi in charge of training when asked what he now thought about America and Americans after years of working with our troops replied: “Americans are much better than what you see in the movies..." A 55 year old Mexican who entered the US legally and overstayed his student visa and later became a citizen after 20 years here took his American grandson back to Oaxaca, Mexico. It was an eye opening experience for the 10 year old lad. His grandfather said, “Americans who have not lived abroad have no idea what a wonderful country this is…”]
7) Those who hate America are radicals, terrorists, militants and for this reason should die. [So what do we do with Obama -- who per his actions, i.e., routinely apologizing to the world for America’s past actions; , putting down the Prime Minister of Israel when he visited here , who takes over 1/6 of the economy with ObamaCare, who has an Attorney General who treats terrorists as common criminals who should have Miranda rights -- who acts as though he does hate America? Yes many radicals, terrorists and militants do hate America. Should they die? No -- just offer radicals and progressives free one way plane tickets to despotic countries which lack American freedoms. And terrorists should be locked up in Gitmo for an indefinite period of time.]
8) "Muslims are less than Christians." [The Muslim faith per the Koran treats women as lesser beings and Christians as lower than women and Jews even lower than Christians. No Muslim need be honest with outsiders such as Christians and Jews. In my view, the Muslim faith has not developed past the 7th century. ]
America better watch and take action so that sharia law does not spread here as it has in Europe and England.]
9) "Organ transplantation is a noble undertaking." There are all sorts of groups that profit monetarily from this viewpoint. [A dog friend acquaintance gave her boy friend a kidney as he has been on dialysis for 10 years. She looked like the aged 15 years when I saw her a month after the transplant. I hope that her boy friend is worth the effort.]
So are these statements "lies"? No. Am I offended by any of them? No. Overall, I could not read more than about 5-7 pages before I’d had enough.
(reviewed 45 days after purchase)