A Walking Tour of San Francisco – Telegraph Hill
a walking tour in the Look Up, America series from walkthetown.com
by Doug Gelbert
published by Cruden Bay Books at Smashwords
Copyright 2012 by Cruden Bay Books
All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording or by any information storage and retrieval system without permission in writing from the Publisher.
San Francisco has 44 named hills; seven stand out as the “Original Seven Hills” - Telegraph Hill, Nob Hill, Russian Hill, Rincon Hill, Mount Sutro, Twin Peaks and Mount Davidson. The Spaniards called this protrubrance Loma Alt or “High Hill” and early San Franciscans knew it as Goat Hill. It became Telegraph Hill in 1849 after a windmill-like structure was constructed on top that signaled the nature of incoming ships entering through the Golden Gate. this information was used by financiers, merchants and speculators in the know to negotiate commodity prices. The coming of the real electrical telegraph made the semaphore system obsolete with a decade but the name never left.