The Spanish Gordons and Huntly.
1. The Gordons of Wardhouse and Spain.
Beldorney was the original home of the Wardhouse Gordons. In 1762 they inherited Wardhouse and in 1777 they sold Beldorney. Links with Spain had been forged before the family left Beldorney, but during the Wardhouse years they became, and still are known as, 'the Spanish Gordons'.
The Beldorney Estate lies in the beautiful valley of the Deveron in the parish of Glass, about seven miles west of Huntly. The first Gordon of Beldorney was George, son of Adam Dean of Caithness, who was the 3rd son of the 1st Earl of Huntly; Adam died in 1528. George 1st Laird of Beldorney, got a charter of the lands in 1560; the castle was built while he was laird - a Z-plan mansion with a massive circular tower at the south-east and a square tower at the north-west. He was succeeded by his elder son Alexander 2nd Laird of Beldorney in 1578, then Alexander's eldest son George 3rd Laird of Beldorney in 1627; Alexander's second son Alexander of Killihuntly (Badenoch) was known as 'Sandy Mor', the ancestor of the later lairds of Beldorney and the Gordons of Wardhouse.
From 1633, the Gordons of Beldorney appear to have been in financial difficulties, wadsetting the lands and retaining only the superiority and designation. George Gordon 4th Laird in 1638, John the 5th Laird and his son John the 6th Laird, whose three sons went abroad and did not return, were all in financial difficulties, and yet during this time the north wing of Beldorney was added.