1.
Yrisarri Block

400 Central Avenue SW at southwest corner of 4th Street

Don Pablo Yrisarri was a Spanish loyalist who was driven out of Vera Cruz by Mexican patriots and migrated to the Rio Grande Valley where he established a trading post that became a village. He later moved into the Albuquerque District and married twice, in 1811 and 1822. This two-story brick commercial building was raised by the Yrisarri family in 1909. In its 100+ years here the most memorable tenant in the now modernized building has been Maisel’s Indian Trading Post. Maurice Maisel opened his first store in downtown Albuquerque in 1923 and soon moved to this location where Pueblo and Navajo craftsmen worked on the premises creating the turquoise jewelry Maisel’s helped make iconic for tourists.


ACROSS 4TH STREET, ON THE SOUTHEAST CORNER OF THE INTERSECTION, IS...

2.
Rosenwald Building

320 Central Avenue SW at southeast corner of 4th Street

Henry Charles Trost hailed from Ohio where he attended art school and trained as an architectural draftsman. He worked his way around the West, developing a hankering for the design of the early Spanish missions of Northern Mexico and the American Southwest. He arrived in Tucson in 1899 when he was 39 and only stayed a few years before moving on to El Paso where he re-shaped that downtown as he became one of the country’s most prolific designers. Trost also contributed greatly to Albuquerque’s streetscape in the first decades of the 20th century. This department store designed by Trost for Aron and Edward Rosenwald was the first building in town to use poured reinforced concrete and when it was completed in 1910 the Albuquerque Morning Journal was moved to gush that it was, “the handsomest and most complete department store in the southwest.” The five-and-dime store of William Walker McLellan took over the ground floor in 1927 and stayed for more than 50 years. The Rosenwald Building has since been converted into office space.

Previous Page Next Page Page 3 of 33