Look Up, Augusta! A Walking Tour of Augusta, Georgia
by Doug Gelbert
published by Cruden Bay Books at Smashwords
Copyright 2013 by Cruden Bay Books
All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording or by any information storage and retrieval system without permission in writing from the Publisher.
Two years after founding the British colony of Georgia at the mouth of the Savannah River in 1735, James Oglethorpe directed troops to sail upstream and construct a blockhouse at the head of navigation on the river. He named the new settlement to honor Princess Augusta who was married at the time to Frederick, Prince of Wales. By 1739 a road was being hacked out of the 125 miles of wilderness between Savannah and Augusta, insuring its success as an inland trading post.
Fort Augusta flourished in its early days as a trading center for settlers amid peaceful relations with the neighboring Creek, Yuchi and Savano Indian tribes. After the American Revolution, during which time the British briefly held the town, Augusta began to develop its own industries, first in tobacco and then clay-brick making and then, most famously, cotton. By the eve of the Civil War in 1860 Augusta was the second largest town in Georgia with a population of over 12,000.