Email this sample to a friend

CONTENTS

Chapter 3:
MAKING IT ALL WORK:
Staff

Chapter 4:
A RECORD OF VETERINARY MEDICINE:
Journals

Chapter 5:
COMING TOGETHER:
Convention

Chapter 3
MAKING IT ALL WORK

Nick DeLuca

To keep up with the demands of its growing membership, the American Veterinary Medical Association—on suggestion from then AVMA President Robert A. Archibald—first began searching for a permanent home in 1916. Four years later, during the 1920 meeting in Columbus, Ohio, AVMA President Charles Cary, remarking on the fact that the Association had had three editors and four secretaries since 1915, declared that “In addition to an all-time Secretary and Editor, we need an all-time home for this double head and heart of the organization” to provide a sense of stability and definitiveness of purpose. The idea of a permanent location for the Association was approved, and the Executive Board was directed to investigate potential locations and costs.

Previous Page Next Page Page 2 of 89