In 1922, Dr. Horace Preston Hoskins, son of former United States Veterinary Medical Association President William Horace Hoskins, was appointed to the position of executive secretary/editor, becoming the first full-time staff member of the Association. Shortly thereafter, the AVMA officially established its first headquarters when it leased office space in Detroit in the early part of 1923. Since moving into that first office, the AVMA headquarters has been relocated on five occasions—to three leased locations in Chicago and two AVMA-owned buildings in Schaumburg, Ill. In 2004, the AVMA also purchased a building in Washington, D.C., rather than continue renting space for the staff who work on Capitol Hill.
In mid-2012, the Association had 149 approved staff positions spread across 12 distinctive divisions—Office of the Executive Vice President, Animal Welfare, Communications, Convention and Meeting Planning, Education and Research, Finance and Business Services, Governmental Relations, Information Technology, Membership and Field Services, Publications, Scientific Activities, and Veterinary Economics—located at its offices in Schaumburg and Washington, D.C.
Staff of the 1939 AVMA Secretariat.
Front row, left to right: Dr. H. Preston Hoskins, Dr. L.A. Merillat, Julius Shaffer
Back row, left to right: Ruth Anderson, Cecil Harris, Adele Ray, Wanda Landwehr, Jean Weinert
AVMA staff members Karl Kessler of the Public Information Division, Dr. D.A. Price, executive vice president; and Dr. W.M. Decker, assistant executive vice president, meet with actress Carmelita Pope.