A 40 Day Spiritual Journey
By John Feloni
The Tollbooth: A 40 Day Spiritual Journey
Copyright 2013 John Feloni
All Rights Reserved.
Why 40 Days?
In Biblical and spiritual terms, the number 40 stands for a period of gestation, of waiting, of growth, of cleansing, and of the development of spirit. During this period, a soul desirous of “enlightenment” will find him or herself wandering in a spiritual wilderness and undergoing tests and trials on all planes of being. Some examples of this are:
• The Great Flood: it rained for 40 days and 40 nights.
• The Israelites wandered the desert for 40 years in search of the promised land.
• Moses spent 40 days on Mount Sinai in commune with God.
• After he was baptized, Jesus spent 40 days meditating in the desert.
• The Christian Lent is for 40 days.