Look Up, Jackson! A Walking Tour of Jackson, Missis
a walking tour in the Look Up, America series from walkthetown.com
by Doug Gelbert
published by Cruden Bay Books at Smashwords
Copyright 2013 by Cruden Bay Books
All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording or by any information storage and retrieval system without permission in writing from the Publisher.
Jackson is the only one of the nation’s state capitals named for a President before its namesake even reached office. Andrew Jackson was still a retired general and six years away from the Presidency when the nascent town in Mississippi was named for him.
The Mississippi General Assembly had been convening in Natchez since the coming of statehood in 1817 and it was decided a state capital was required in the center of Mississippi. Emissaries dutifully rode to the exact center of the state and found a swamp. Scouting around, they inspected to the south and west and came upon LeFleur’s Bluff on the Pearl River, the trading post of French-Canadian adventurer Louis LeFleur. In 1821 the location was officially declared the permanent seat of the Mississippi government and by 1822 the town of Jackson was being laid out in an alternating pattern of commercial-residential blocks and open squares in a style advocated by Thomas Jefferson.