A Walking Tour of Leesburg, Virginia
a walking tour in the Look Up, America series from walkthetown.com
by Doug Gelbert
published by Cruden Bay Books at Smashwords
Copyright 2010 by Cruden Bay Books
All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording or by any information storage and retrieval system without permission in writing from the Publisher.
Leesburg has always been a crossroads town; today it is US Highway 15 running north-south and Virginia Highway 7 running east-west. In Colonial times those routes were known as the Carolina Road and the Potomac Ridge Road. In 1757 the Virginia Assembly designated the small settlement at the crossroads for the seat of its new Loudoun County. The land at that time was owned by Nicholas Minor and he knew how to take advantage of his political windfall. He had his 60 acres platted into 70 lots which he began selling for ｣3 with the provision that a brick, stone or wood house be constructed within three years or the property would revert back to Minor. Thus was a town built.