A Walking Tour of Clarion, Pennsylvania
a walking tour in the Look Up, America series from walkthetown.com
by Doug Gelbert
published by Cruden Bay Books at Smashwords
Copyright 2010 by Doug Gelbert
All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording or by any information storage and retrieval system without permission in writing from the Publisher.
Clarion County was created as the 54th of Pennsylvania's 67 counties on March 11, 1839, from parts of Venango and Armstrong counties. The Clarion River was the dividing line between the two mother counties was in early times known as Stump Creek and Toby’s Creek. In 1817, the legislature passed an Act, authorizing the survey of a state road from Indiana to Franklin. The surveyors selected were David Lawson and Daniel Stannard. While lying in their tent one night, along Toby Creek, which was heavily fringed by a wall of close and massive timber, they noticed this wall condensed and reflected the murmur of the stream, giving it a silvery mellowness. Stannard remarked, “The water sounds like a distant clarion.” And so Pennsylvania got a name for a river, a county, and, a town.