A Walking Tour of Windsor, Connecticut
a walking tour in the Look Up, America series from walkthetown.com
by Doug Gelbert
published by Cruden Bay Books at Smashwords
Copyright 2010 by Cruden Bay Books
All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording or by any information storage and retrieval system without permission in writing from the Publisher.
In 1635, Reverend John Warham brought 60 of his congregation overland from Dorchester, Massachusetts and stopped here where the Farmington River flows into the Connecticut River. They had arrived in America five years earlier on the ship Mary and John from Plymouth, England. Reverend Warham promptly renamed the settlement Dorchester. During the next few years, more settlers arrived from Dorchester, outnumbering and soon displacing the original Plymouth contingent, who mostly returned to Plymouth. In 1637, the colony’s General Court changed the names of Connecticut’s three original river towns - Dorchester to Windsor, Watertown to Wethersfield and Newtown to Hartford.