Email this sample to a friend

A Walking Tour of Burlington, New Jersey


a walking tour in the Look Up, America series from walkthetown.com


by Doug Gelbert


published by Cruden Bay Books at Smashwords


Copyright 2010 by Cruden Bay Books


All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording or by any information storage and retrieval system without permission in writing from the Publisher.



This shoreline was settled by two groups of English Quakers in 1677, one from Yorkshire and the other from London. High Street (the traditional English name for a town's main street) was laid out with lots to the east for the Yorkshiremen and lots to the west for the men of London. A gristmill and a sawmill were quickly established and by 1681 the Colonial Assembly had designated the fledgling settlement as the capital of the province of West New Jersey and the official port of entry. By the mid-1700s Burlington ranked with New York, Philadelphia and Boston as one of the busiest ports in the country.


Previous Page Next Page Page 1 of 33