A Walking Tour of Conway, South Carolina
a walking tour in the Look Up, America series from walkthetown.com
by Doug Gelbert
published by Cruden Bay Books at Smashwords
Copyright 2010 by Cruden Bay Books
All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording or by any information storage and retrieval system without permission in writing from the Publisher.
Robert Johnson, Royal Governor of South Carolina in 1730, hatched a plan to develop this area that included the site of Kingston on a river bluff. By 1735 the first settlers had arrived. When the American Revolution exploded, numerous residents took up the cause of independence including Francis Marion, the “Swamp Fox,” who had an encampment near Kingston just across the Waccamaw River.
After the war new political boundaries were drawn and in 1785 Kingston County was created. The county name was changed in 1801 to honor Peter Horry who had stood alone from King George in the battle for freedom. Kingston’s name was soon to change as well - it became Conwayborough for General Robert Conway. It was designated the county seat and a courthouse constructed. Regardless, growth came slowly. The town greeted the new 19th century with about 100 inhabitants and an 1832 state geographical survey identified only 200 townsfolk.