Interview with A. N. Johnson

When did you first start writing?
I first started writing short stories in 2009-2010, but they were more for my entertainment only. It wasn't until earlier this year that I decided to write a full book and make it a series.
What's the story behind your latest book?
The story behind my latest book came from a conversation I had with my "brainstorming buddy". We were just talking on the phone one evening about all the books we've read, which lead to our favorite book boyfriends, and somewhere in that conversation we created my main male character, Connor Avery Moore. We had him fully developed after about two glasses of wine, but my main female character, Quinn Parker, took a bit longer.
As I began to tell the story from their points of view, things started to happen and I went with it. I knew I wanted to make the story good whether there was sex or not and I do believe I have done that.
What motivated you to become an indie author?
The freedom of creativity. I have to admit, it is taking more work to promote than it did to write the book, but I have the freedom to choose my own book cover design, where I want to sell my book, and when it will be released. Being an indie author also gives me the chance to work at my own pace. Yes, I set deadlines for myself, however, as a mother of two kids and an Army wife, writing sometimes gets put on the back burner. Although I love to write, I love my family more, and being an indie author allows me to keep them first.
What do you read for pleasure?
Anything that catches my eye. I enjoy Romance, Erotic Romance, Thrillers, Suspense, Horror, and Crime. I am not big on Sci-Fi but that doesn't mean I won't give it a try.
Who are your favorite authors?
My favorite authors? Well, let's see. I like James Patterson, but who doesn't? Shari Lapena is also a new favorite. I loved her book 'The Couple Next Door'. Sylvia Day, EL James, J. Kenner, Meredith Wild, Zane, Eric Jerome Dickey, Sista Soulja and the list goes on. I just love to read.
What is your e-reading device of choice?
My Android tablet. However, I really do prefer paperback books. I like the feel of a book in my hand.
Describe your desk
My desk is long, hard, and strong. Hahaha. No really, it's currently a mess of papers; outline, notes, ideas that came to me in the late hours of the night or early morning, and timeline checks. I am an old school writer, I like pen and paper. Later, those papers will be replaced with my laptop and possibly a glass of wine.
When you're not writing, how do you spend your time?
Well, many authors answers here would be reading and as much as I'd like to say it is what I do, that is not entirely true. About 25% of my time spent not writing goes to reading, the other 75% is divided up between kids, extracurricular activities, quality time with husband, and attending appointments. Let's not forget I am a full time mommy and wife, which means, I am lucky if I can pick up a book at all. But when I do, everything and everyone is pretty much invisible to me, so shout out to my husband for keeping things together until I finish reading my current book. *blows kiss
What is the greatest joy of writing for you?
Creating a world from my imagination and finding others who enjoy it. Nothing brings me more joy than someone saying, "I just couldn't put your book down," or "Your book is really good." Knowing that I came up with a story that others enjoyed and possibly even related to, is like finding a ten dollar bill in your coat pocket or finding out you had one more piece of chocolate in your secret stash. Either way, it feels great and brings joy like no other.
What do your fans mean to you?
They mean everything to me. As a new author, my fan base is small, but that doesn't make me love them any less. Having fans of my writing is a great honor I am blessed to have. Whether I have ten fans or ten thousand fans, I will treat them all with kindness and respect because without them, who would read our stories?
What are you working on next?
I am currently working on Book Two in The Design Series, Redesigned by Passion. So be sure to get your copy of Enamored by Design, Book One, which is available for Pre-order now. It will be released February 2018. I am looking to have Redesigned by Passion out sometime at the end of 2018.
Published 2017-11-29.
Smashwords Interviews are created by the profiled author, publisher or reader.