Larry D. Claxton
Dr.Claxton has thirty plus years experience as Team Leader and Division Director in the National Health and Environmental Effects Research Laboratory, USEPA. He is internationally known and respected for research involving the genotoxicity (mutagenicity and carcinogenicity) of environmental complex mixtures in air, soil, and water. He has produced over 150 journal articles, book chapters and books and has published and lectured on scientific ethical issues.
Dr.Claxton earned his Ph.D. from North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC with a major in genetics and at the same time earned a minor in Public Health Administration from the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill. He also has a M.S. the University of Memphis, Memphis, TN and B.S. from Middle Tennessee State University, Murfreesboro, TN.
• Senior Research Biologist, Environmental Carcinogenesis Division, USEPA
• Adjunct Professor, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC
• Adjunct Assistant Professor, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
• Director, Environmental Carcinogenesis Division, USEPA, 1993-1999
• Team Leader and various research positions, National Health and Environmental Effects Laboratory, NC, USEPA, 1977-1993
• Biologist, Mutagenesis Branch, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, Research Triangle Park, NC, 1972-1977
• Research Assistant, Biology Division, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN, 1971-1972
Dr. Claxton is a member of the Environmental Mutagen Society (Former Councilor and member of several standing committees),the Genotoxicity and Environmental Mutagen Society (Charter Member, Former President, formerly on several committees) and the Society of Toxicology.
• Lifetime Achievement Award from the Genetics and Environmental Mutagenesis Society – Received May 17, 2010.
• Career Service Award and Gold Metal from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency – Received April 1, 2010.
• The Alexander Hollaender Award from the Environmental Mutagen Society - Received September 19, 2006.
• Scientific and Technical Achievement level 1 Awards –
o Received 2010 for: Monograph titled: Integrated Disinfection Byproducts Mixtures Research (the 4Lab Study): Toxicological and Chemical Evaluation of Alternative Disinfection Treatment Scenarios
o Received 2006 for: “The genotoxicity of ambient outdoor air, a review: Salmonella mutagenicity, Mutation Research/Reviews in Mutation Research 567 (2004) 347-399.”
• Scientific and Technical Achievement Awards – Lower level awards received in 2001, 1994, 1992, 1990, 1985, and 1983
• Bronze Medals (USEPA) – received in 1992 and 1980
• Other awards received available on request
• Who’s Who listings available on request
• One book authored, one book co-authored, and four books co-edited
• More than 130 peer-reviewed journal articles
• More than 40 book chapters and miscellaneous publications
• Editorial Boards for Environmental and Molecular Mutagenesis, Toxicology and Industrial Health, and Mutation Research
• Consultant to various national and international organizations
• Invited speaker and/or organizer to many workshops and conferences
• Research mentor and committee member for eight doctoral students, eight master level students. Advisor to postdoctoral awardees.
See Dr, Claxton's web site at https://sites.google.com/site/ldcsciserv/home
Where to find Larry D. Claxton online
Larry D. Claxton's tag cloud