I am not used to write reviews on the book, but sure am going to do for this one!
I am a tech lead and have worked in multiple projects using Agile and Scrum. When it dawned on me that a good endorsement of my Scrum Skills would add points to my profile, many recommended CSM. After long and wider research, PSM by Scrum.org got my vote for the best certificate among those that are available on Scrum. And it was cheaper too!!
Oh boy! I failed on my first try with 69% (The minimum needed score was 85%). May be because I simply relied on some online tips that had me go with Scrum Guide and the Open Assessment from Scrum.org.
The quality of PSM test questions inspired to go get it though. For my second attempt, I read through the Scrum Master Training Manual and also purchased the practice questions from MPlaza. When I went through scrum.org forum, I noticed several negative aspects about the manual and questions. So, I questioned my preparedness for the test. May be a training course by scrum.org? oops! Spent too much already. Didn't I?
That's when I noticed the mention of this book in many threads on scrum.org. I searched and found in another major ecommerce site. The feedback provided sounded very promising. So I bought it.
The first striking difference between the MPlaza online test and this book was…- this book provided a very elaborate and strong foundation on Scrum theory even before practice questions.
Here are my + for the book:
1. Mostly - straight to the point without word play
2. The questions are very thoughtfully crafted cover the full scope of the Scrum
3. Some good visuals about Scrum Team and techniques
4. Clear differentiation of what is defined in Scrum Guide vs what is added by the book (marked with DETOUR)
5. Many useful insights that may help with practitioners on the ground. A whole section is about how the Scrum journey works from the start till closing
6. Discussion of Scrum Vs Agile Manifesto Vs XP
7. The difficulty levels of practice questions match with real assessment and in some cases exceed as well. It increases the confidence
Well... Needless to say, I passed the exam 98% and what's more than - inciting my wife's amazement :)
The review won't be complete without few minuses:
1. Minor typos at few places
2. Number of visuals go down the pages
3. Would have helped to know more about Nexus
So... Mohammed's book saved me from endlessly churning with different preparatory material and still wondering with less confidence if I was ready for the assessment.
Even after the test, I am using this book as a ready reference for my job. But, I am an old gut that wanted to have a pdf version to make it easy on my farmhouse desktop, but the old version I bought in another retailer doesn’t offer pdf version. Got one here thanks to smashwords!
Happy New Year folks!
(reviewed the day of purchase)